Common Issues with Guaranteed Service Refund Requests
Getting to the refund page is the easy part. There are many reasons why your shipment might not be eligible for a refund. Some common reasons include:
- The type service you used was not guaranteed (like 2nd Day Air Residential shipments, for example)
- The shipping contract you signed prevented you from claiming refunds (be careful – read your contract!)
- You dropped your package off at a UPS store (you have to claim those refunds through the UPS store directly)
- Packages subject to a Large Package Surcharge or Additional Handling Fee
- Delays outside of the control of UPS (there’s a long list of things here)
- Shipments made around the holidays (yep, those holiday packages aren’t actually guaranteed)
Beyond the reasons above, you still might find that your refund can’t be issued online due to UPS refund web service interruptions (a common problem).
The Bottom Line
If you are just trying to get refunds for a couple shipments or if you ship less than 100 shipments a month, manually reviewing your shipments and submitting your refund requests yourself is not a bad way to go. If you ship in heavier volume, keeping up with this process will quickly become tedious, and refunds will slip through the cracks.
Give us a try for a month, and see how much we can collect for you. Your first month is free!