As you probably know, FedEx typically increases their base service rates by 4.9% each year. This year is no exception – rates are increasing by 4.9%, effective January 7, 2019. The part you might not know is that surcharges and fees are changing – some by substantially more than 4.9%. The real pain will be felt by those who ship odd-sized packages, incurring additional handling surcharges and oversize surcharges, as those surcharges are each increasing by 12.5% this year.
Here are some of the largest surcharge increases for 2019:
- Print Return Label Fee – Increasing from $.50 to $1.00 (a 100% increase)
- Additional Handling Surcharge – Increasing from $12 to $13.5 per package (a 12.5% increase)
- Oversize Charge – Increasing from $80 to $90 per package (a 12.5% increase)
- Address Correction Fee – Increasing from $15 to 16 per package (a 6.67% increase)
- Adult Signature Required – Increasing from $5.75 to $6.05 per package (a 7% increase)
- Residential Delivery Surcharge – Increasing from $4.15 to $4.40 per package (a 6% increase)
You can see the full list of surcharge increases right here.
If you’re using the Refund Geeks Savings Platform, you can see your total surcharge spend and quickly estimate how much these increases will affect your shipping spend for 2019. If you’re not using it yet, sign up free today!