As you probably know, UPS typically increases their base service rates by 4.9% each year. This year is no exception – rates are increasing by 4.9%, effective December 26, 2018. The part you might not know is that surcharges and accessorial fees are changing – some by substantially more than 4.9%. The real pain will be felt by those who ship odd-sized packages, incurring additional handling surcharges and large package surcharges, as those fees are each increasing by 18.5% or more this year.
Here are some of the largest UPS surcharge / accessorial fee increases for 2019:
- Large Package Surcharge (Residential) – Increasing from $90 to $115 per package (a 27.8% increase)
- Large Package Surcharge (Commercial) – Increasing from $80 to $95 per package (a 18.8% increase)
- Additional Handling Surcharge – Increasing from $12 to $14.25 per package (a 18.5% increase)
- Residential Delivery Surcharge (Ground) – Increasing from $3.60 to $3.95 per package (a 10% increase)
- Residential Delivery Surcharge (Air) – Increasing from $4.15 to $4.55 per package (a 10% increase)
If you’re using the Refund Geeks Savings Platform, you can see your total surcharge spend and quickly estimate how much these increases will affect your shipping spend for 2019. If you’re not using it yet, sign up free today!